Irina Kopteva, PhD
Irina Kopteva, PhD
Assistant Professor Research
Columbine Hall, rm. 327
Areas of Interest
- Climate Change and Ozone Fluctuation
- Geographical and GIS Education
- Air Pollution
- Geography, Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1989
- M.S., Geography and Climatology, Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1985
- Environmental Systems: Landforms and Soils
- Environmental Systems: Climate and Vegetation
- World Regional Geography
- Introduction to Human Geography
- GPS to GIS
- Intro to GIS
- Advanced GIS
- Global Warming, Climate Change and Our Environment
- Global Change, Climate and Weather
- Synoptic Meteorology and Weather Forecasting
- Methods of Statistical Analysis
- Environmental Monitoring and Analysis
- Methods and Instruments in Weather Observation
- Kopteva, I. (2022, June 8). Developing Cross-Curricular Activities for Remote Teaching of Earth and Environmental Science with Primary Sources from the Library of Congress. Proceedings & Programs STEM/STEAM Education Conference. ISSN #2333-4908.
- Kopteva, I. (2021) Chapter 11: Geographical Analysis of Streaming Video’s Power to Unite and Divide. In P.C. Adams and B. Warf (eds.) Handbook on Media Geographies. London and New York: Routledge.
- Kopteva, I. (2018) Humanizing Human Geography Online: The Quality Matters Journey. The Geography Teacher. 15 (2): 80-91. https://doi.org/10.1080/19338341.2017.1417880
- Kopteva, I., Arkowski, D., & Craft, E. (2014) Tiered Internship Model for Undergraduate Students in Geospatial Science and Technology. The Community College Journal of Research and Practices.
- Kopteva, I. & Arkowski, D. (2009) Award Abstract #0902511. A Pilot Project to Implement a Tiered Internship Model for Students in Geospatial Technology (TIMSGeoTech). National Science Foundation News.
- Kopteva, I. (2008, June 18). The Southern Colorado Geospatial Initiative (SCoGI). IGETT.
- Kopteva, I., Mnatsakanjan, R., & Cherp A. (2003). Economic Transition and Environmental Sustainability: Effects of Economic Restructuring on Air Pollution in the Russian Federation. Journal of Environmental Management, UK, Vol. 68, Issue 2, 141-151.
- Kopteva, I. (2000). Regional Northwestern Environmental School "Noosphere": Experience and Future. Journal "Ecological and Hydrometeorological Problems of Large Cities and Industrial Zones," St. Petersburg, Russia, October, 201-202.
- Kopteva, I. (1999). The Environmental Sciences and Policy Session at Central European University. Journal of St. Petersburg State University, No. 11, 3478--3479.
- Kopteva, I. (1997). Ozone Anomalies and Climate Characteristics: Interrelations. Magazine of St. Petersburg State University, No.7, issue 1, 15-19.
- Kopteva, I. (1996). The Young Scientist's Council: Problems and Perspectives. Journal of St. Petersburg State University, No. 22, 2416-2418.
- Kopteva, I. & Kljagina, L. (1990). The Indicators of Atmosphere Circulation and the Total Ozone in the Northern Hemisphere Air Masses: Inter-connections. Magazine of Main Geophysical Observatory at St. Petersburg, No.531, 60-65.
- Kopteva, I., Bezugly, I., & Mazur, L. (1988). The General Atmospheric Circulation in the Northern Hemisphere: Spatial and Seasonal Changes. Magazine of St. Petersburg State University, No.7, issue 4, 17-24.
- Kopteva, I. & Tsyb, A. (Eds.). (1998, 1999, 2000, & 2001). Proceedings of the 8, 9, 10, and 11th International Conferences "Man, Nature, Society: Actual Problems," St. Petersburg, Russia: St. Petersburg State University.
- Kopteva, I. & Tsyb, A. (Eds.). (1999). Proceedings of the Interdisciplinary Regional Seminar "Universum of Plato Idea," St. Petersburg, Russia: St. Petersburg State University.
Honors and Awards
- 2022 Award: Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Western Region Consortium Member at Metropolitan State University of Denver for Remote Teaching of Earth and Environmental Science with Primary Sources project [grant of November 2020-June 2022]
- 2019 Recognized with the National Council for Geographic Education award for the 2019 best content article
- 2016 Quality Matters (QM) Certificate of Course Recognition for design of GES1990, Introduction to Human Geography online course
- 2014 UCCS Online Course Enhancement Grant Recipient, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2013 El Pomar Foundation Scholarship Recipient, Leadership Plenty Program
- 2009-2011 National Science Foundation Award to Direct the Tiered Internship Model for Students in Geospatial Technology (TIMSGeoTech) Project at Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado Springs, CO
- 2001 Research Award, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
- 2000 Certificate of Merit for Exemplary Work at Saint Petersburg State University, Russia
- 1997-2001 The Russian Federation Program on Integration of the Higher Education and Science Awards to Administer the Young Scientists' Research Program at Saint Petersburg State University, Russia
Volunteer and Service
- AEl Pomar Asian American Advisory Council, Member
- Pikes Peak Community Development Initiative, Pathways to College Readiness and Success Program, Ambassador