Cerian Gibbes, PhD
Cerian Gibbes, PhD
Columbine Hall, rm. 2017
Areas of Interest
- Social and ecological impacts of land use land cover change
- Human-environment dynamics at the interface of agriculture and conservation
- Remote sensing
- Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean
- PhD, Geography, University of Florida, 2011
- MS, Geography, University of Florida, 2006
- BS, Geography, University of Florida, 2004
- Environmental Remote Sensing (GES4060)
- Statistical Analysis in Geography (GES 4000)
- Image Analysis (GES4090)
- Urban Ecology (GES 4700)
- Geography of Africa (GES 3070)
- Geographic Research (GES 5010)
- Digital Earth (GES2050)
- Field courses in Colorado, Guatemala, Mexico, Uganda, Rwanda
- Gibbes,C., Hopkins, A., Inurreta, A., and JImenez-Osornio, J. (2018). Defining and measuring sustainability: A systematic review of studies in rural Latin America and the Caribbean. Environment, Development and Sustainability. 10.1007/s10668-018-0209-9.
- Klenk, N., Fiume, A., Meehan, K., & Gibbes, C. (2017). Local knowledge in climate adaptation research: Moving knowledge frameworks from extraction to co‐production. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 8(5), e475.
- Gibbes, C., Southworth, J., Waylen, P., Child, B. (2014). Climate variability as a dominant driver of post-disturbance savanna dynamics. Applied Geography, 53, 389-401.
- Hopkins, A., Gibbes, C., Inurreta, A., Rojas, R. (2012). Linking Remote Sensing, Census and Interview Data to Understand Forest Transitions in the Southern Cone of the State of Yucatan, Mexico. Ethnobotany Research and Application, 10, 1-13.
- Gaughan, A., Stevens, F.R., Gibbes, C., Southworth, J., and Binford, M. (2012). Linking vegetation response to seasonal precipitation in the Okavango-Kwando-Zambezi catchment of southern Africa. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33, 6783-6804.
- Gibbes, C., Southworth J., Keys E. (2009). Wetland conservation: change and fragmentation in Trinidad's protected areas. Geoforum, 40, 91-104.
Honors and Awards
- President's Teaching Scholar (2022)
- CU- Next, University of Colorado System Grant (2022)
- Fulbright Fellowship, Taiwan (2020)
- National Geographic Explorer (2020-2021)
- UCCS Faculty Award for Excellence in Research (2017)
- NEXUS Fulbright Fellowship, Latin America (2014-2016)
- Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS) Fellow (2012)
- NASA Land Cover/Land Use Change Research Assistantship (2009-2011)
- Social Science Research Council DPDF (2008)
Volunteer and Service
- Co-Chair, Committee for Racial & Ethnic Equity, CU System
- Student Award Committee, American Association of Geographers
- Topic Advisory Panel, Land